EDUC 764 E-Learning PracticumOnline Course 3 semester hours graduate credit
Instructor: Dennis O'Connor
Tuition and Registration
Enrollment limited to ten students.
- Consent of Instructor
- 3.0 GPA in each of the required courses: EDUC 760, 761, 762, 76
- During the practicum, you will teach online with a cooperating instructor gaining valuable real world online teaching experience.
- A customized internship is available for those already teaching online.
- Successful completion of the practicum earns the E-Learning Certificate.
- Facilitate student discussions.
- Utilize the instructor side of learning management systems.
- Accurately evaluate online student performance.
- Participate in peer reviews.
- Use a rubric to self-evaluate teaching performance.
- Sustain a reflective mindset.
- Develop an ongoing professional learning network.
- Finalize a professional e-portfolio.
Course DescriptionPracticum in teaching online with a cooperating online instructor. Application of online pedagogy and technology evaluated through observation, discussion and reflections.
E-textbooksE-textbooks will be provided when you login to the course. You may open the e-book to read online from your laptop or desktop. The e-textbook software is compatible with an iPad, Kindle Fire or fully internet-capable device. It is not compatible with a Kindle Reader.
Palloff, Rena M. and Pratt, Keith. (2013). Lessons from the Virtual Classroom: The Realities of Online Teaching (2nd ed). Jossey-Bass ISBN: 978-111812373
Palloff, Rena M. and Pratt, Keith. (2009). Building Online Learning Communities: Effective Strategies for the Virtual Classroom (2nd ed). John Wiley & Sons ISBN: 978-0470481363
If you prefer to read a hard copy of the textbook instead of reading via your computer or tablet, you may purchase the book from online bookstores such as amazon.com, Barnes & Noble or textbooks.com. Be sure to allow for delivery time. NOTE the ISBN number and 2nd edition.
Additional recommended web-based articles will be available via the course modules.
Learning OutcomesUpon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop a web-based learning environment using a learning management
system to create and revise an accessible sequence of instruction that
includes knowledge delivery, student response, and summative evaluation.
- Apply multiple technology-enabled measures to accurately evaluate online student performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and dispositions related to diversity
and engage all online students with exceptionalities through e-learning
- Facilitate threaded discussions by synthesizing themes and applying questioning skills.
- Use multiple technologies to communicate in a timely, clear, and professional manner with students and colleagues.
- Create an articulate and detailed professional development plan setting goals based on lessons learned during the practicum.
- Publish a technically proficient electronic portfolio of learning
artifacts created during the practicum and other classes of the
E-Learning and Online Teaching Certificate Program.
Alignment with Teaching StandardsCourse objectives are aligned with the following:
Wisconsin Standards for Teacher Development and Licensure (WI DPI) 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10
Wisconsin Standards for Administrator Development and Licensure (WI DPI) 3, 5, 7
International Society for Technology in Education, National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers, NETS-T
(ISTE NETS-T) I, II, III, IV, V, VI
No travel to campus is required.
- You may participate from your home or work computer during hours that are flexible and convenient for your work and family schedule and responsibilities.
- The class is highly interactive with a significant discussion component.
- All discussion postings, projects, and assignments will be submitted via the course discussion board and Dropbox.
- Activities are conducted according to a schedule with specific due dates each week.
SIGN UP SOON!Register online The School of Education reserves the right to cancel classes that do not meet minimum enrollment requirements.
For More InformationRequest Information Online
Contact Us: Dennis O'Connor, Program Advisor
E-learning and Online Teaching Certificate
University of Wisconsin - Stout Menomonie, WI 54751
Phone: (530) 318-1145